SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

We want Seth Jones

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#1 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,465 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

If the Flyers are going to stink they might as well do it in style. Jones could be the cornerstone we need for a future Cup.
Posted Image

#2 Flyers-2010

Flyers-2010

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Tanking wouldn't garantee a chance to pick Jones, and I don't see us sucking that much unless we ask our players to do it (which won't happen) or trade key players, which would hurt us.

#3 bsjr5726

bsjr5726

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Has someone been reading "How to build an NHL Franchise by the Pittsburgh Penguins."?

Edited by bsjr5726, 16 February 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#4 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Has someone been reading "How to build an NHL Franchise by the Pittsburgh Penguins.".

Apparently.

Hasn't the lottery changed now as well ? I think its now every team that doesn't make the playoffs is now in the raffle. I would think our chances are slim to get him, and I certainly would not condone throwing the season to get anyone.

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#5 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,465 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Has someone been reading "How to build an NHL Franchise by the Pittsburgh Penguins."?

You mean like the LA Kings and the 2nd overall pick in Drew Doughty?
Or Chicago with the 1st pick in Patrick Kane?
Boston with the 2nd pick in Tyler Seguin?
How about Carolina with the 2nd pick in Eric Staal?
Tampa Bay and the first overall Vinny Lecavalier?
New Jersey three cups that featured the 3rd pick in Niedermayer?
Detroit's first three cups with Yzerman who was drafted 4th?
Dallas and Mike Modano who was drafted first?
Then there was Quebec/Colorado who had three first overall picks and dealt them to build their championship core.

Notice a common theme with almost every single recent champion?
Posted Image

#6 ericmedc

ericmedc

is needed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

How many of those teams decided to not trying to win to get a better draft position?

Sucking to gain advantages is about as retaded as japanese used underwear machines
Hakuna Matata

I predict that my point is more correct then yours. With the help of time zones, those predictions are usually quite accurate

#7 DA-42

DA-42

Always has a GAA under 2.00

• Moderators
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

How many of those teams decided to not trying to win to get a better draft position?

Sucking to gain advantages is about as retaded as japanese used underwear machines

Those exist? *goes to Google*
The shadow alex ross cover 11

#8 heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn

Fire Homer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

The Flyers had the #2 pick not too long ago. Maybe JVR was supposed to be the cornerstone.

Section 103 Row 6

#9 shane23

shane23

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

No. The Flyers are not in danger of having to move the franchise.

sig.png

#10 Flyersrule25

Flyersrule25

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Apparently.

Hasn't the lottery changed now as well ? I think its now every team that doesn't make the playoffs is now in the raffle. I would think our chances are slim to get him, and I certainly would not condone throwing the season to get anyone.

Correct. Screws us like 06-07 all over. I want either the 1st or 2nd pick. Get either Mackinnon or Jones. Jones paired with Gostisbehere would work for the next 10+ years.

#11 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Apparently.

We can trade every decent player/prospect we have to a bottom feeder for their 1st. Increase our odds. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree on the no tank. We came out of 2007 because of trades & signings rather then decide to rely on unproven teenagers.

Posted Image

#12 allamericandan1

allamericandan1

My signature is only going to get louder and angrier.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Then there was Quebec/Colorado who had three first overall picks and dealt them to build their championship core.

The Flyers have had two top 5 picks since I started watching hockey in 1995. Both were traded after only three f---ing seasons. I'd like Seth Jones, but on the condition the Flyers get a shiny new GM who won't trade him like a fool.

3tv3pb.jpg

#13 bsjr5726

bsjr5726

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Didn't the Flyers have the worse record and still lost the lottery to the Blackhawks anyway? I would rather have them fix what they have than tank. There is no guarantee that Seth Jones will pan out and they don't draft to bad anyway.

#14 laxgrl2PA-c

laxgrl2PA-c

• Moderators
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Apparently.

Every team that misses the playoffs is in the lottery, however you can only move 4 spots, so If we finish in the bottom 14, but not the bottom 4, we won't have a shot at landing Jones. Good chance at being bottom 14, but they would literally have to purposely tank in order to land in the bottom 4. This team is bad, but not that bad.

#15 Mitt

Mitt

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

If the Flyers are going to stink they might as well do it in style. Jones could be the cornerstone we need for a future Cup.

I thought he automatically went the the Oilers?
Posted Image

#16 laxgrl2PA-c

laxgrl2PA-c

• Moderators
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

I thought he automatically went the the Oilers?

not automatically, the league has to at least attempt to hold a fair lottery that they can rig so the oilers get another 1st overall.

#17 Edu-ro

Edu-ro

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

And then there's the Flyers with Forsberg or JVR (ok, I would never dare compare the two). The point is the Flyers wouldn't know what to do with a high pick if by some miracle they get it.
Posted Image

#18 andrejb

andrejb

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Tanking wouldn't garantee a chance to pick Jones, and I don't see us sucking that much unless we ask our players to do it (which won't happen) or trade key players, which would hurt us.

We like to trade key players.

The Flyers had the #2 pick not too long ago. Maybe JVR was supposed to be the cornerstone.

#2, but in very, very weak draft.

ThereĀ“s always next year.

#19 The_Mighty_Tim

The_Mighty_Tim

The Notorious T.I.M.

• Moderators
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Jones paired with Gostisbehere would work for the next 10+ years.

Well, until Homer trades one or both of them...

#20 Mitt

Mitt

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

not automatically, the league has to at least attempt to hold a fair lottery that they can rig so the oilers get another 1st overall.

I know there's a lot of "behind the scenes" work that must happen but they pull it off so flawlessly every year, it just seems automatic.
Posted Image

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use