SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

Who would you acquire?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you acquire? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

If you are Paul Holmgren and feel the need to pull the trigger, who do you go for?

1. Phil Kessel (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. P.K. Subban (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Roberto Luongo (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

4. Another Player (mention who in comment) (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

5. Do nothing! For the Love of God do nothing!!! (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 allamericandan1

allamericandan1

My signature is only going to get louder and angrier.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I just read an article where a Toronto columnist (Damien Cox) believes now is the time to dump Phil Kessel. With the Flyers having a hard time scoring, Kessel may be just the thing to spark the offense.

The obvious weakness of the Flyers is defense. Can P.K. Subban become the type of blue chip, game breaking defense the Flyers haven't had since Mark Howe? Is his on the ice personality (as well as his off the ice personality) something you wary of?

Since Bryzgalov has signed his contract that ends at the end of time, Flyers fans have instantly lamented his deal. The Flyers have been linked to Luongo in trade rumors since the lock out ended. His deal is almost more of an albatross and he is something of a headcase like Bryz. However, Luongo has won gold in the Olympics and has actually taken the Canucks to the Finals. Do you acquire Luongo and amnesty Bryzgalov?

Finally, do none of these players catch your fancy? Got another player in mind that could help the Flyers? Tell us who this player is and why.

Happy polling! :popcorn:

Edited by allamericandan1, 28 January 2013 - 05:38 PM.

3tv3pb.jpg

#2 catkoladis

catkoladis

Unofficial Ambassador

• PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Look, can you imagine what these other teams would want in exchange for any of these guys...or any player, really? They will look at our awesome up-and-coming young guys like Couterier or Brenner, and they will start making demands that will tear apart our young nucleus of talent. The only type of player that might be worth it isn't out there for us, a solid 1st pairing defenseman (defensive, offensive, I don't much care at this point). It is too early in the season to panic, and I think we need to have a modicum of patience. The only position I am really really really not happy with is our backup goalie, but Boosh is in Adirondak getting into game shape, IMHO. I know we aren't known for our patience, as Flyers fans, but just let's bite the bullet for another week or two at least.

Edited by catkoladis, 28 January 2013 - 05:49 PM.

Posted Image

#3 norphilly

norphilly

Prospect

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Flyers are in dire need of defenceman

I think the flyers are in need of a good defenceman since pronger might never return.

#4 Simmonds4Prez

Simmonds4Prez

The Engineer

• PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

PK all the waay. The kid has moxie, he is cocky, gets under the skin of opposing teams, and is one of the finest skating dmen in the game with a nice point shot to boot.

Kessel maybe, but he isn't worth a Cooter imho.

WayneSimmonds1_zps2e20b472.png

#5 norphilly

norphilly

Prospect

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Flyers are in dire need of defenceman

I think the flyers are in need of a good defenceman since pronger might never return.

#6 allamericandan1

allamericandan1

My signature is only going to get louder and angrier.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Look, can you imagine what these other teams would want in exchange for any of these guys...or any player, really? They will look at our awesome up-and-coming young guys like Couterier or Brenner, and they will start making demands that will tear apart our young nucleus of talent. The only type of player that might be worth it isn't out there for us, a solid 1st pairing defenseman (defensive, offensive, I don't much care at this point). It is too early in the season to panic, and I think we need to have a modicum of patience. The only position I am really really really not happy with is our backup goalie, but Boosh is in Adirondak getting into game shape, IMHO. I know we aren't known for our patience, as Flyers fans, but just let's bite the bullet for another week or two at least.

I agree with you. This isn't me making a panic poll or anything. Just talking about rumors and such. Kessel, Subban and Luongo will be expensive. No doubt. But I'm not advocating the trade I'm listing the pros and some cons to acquiring each player. Hence why I added the "For the Love of God, do nothing!" option. I don't want to get rid of any of the young talent. But this is really more of a discussion of what is the dire need, or is the need so dire that you go out and get someone. Is Kessel a fit? Who knows? Is Subban a fit? Again, no one can be sure. But that is where the discussion comes from. Some people on these boards want both Schenns gone. Some people wouldn't mind trading Coots for Subban. It's up to the individual and I'm just interested in what everyone has to say.

3tv3pb.jpg

#7 DA-42

DA-42

Always has a GAA under 2.00

• Moderators
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think Luongo is great but he isn't *that* much better than Bryzgalov so it's really not worth it. I've never liked Kessel, so out of the 3 I'd say Subban.
The shadow alex ross cover 11

#8 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I wouldn't mind getting Subban or Kessel, but would not give up Couturier for either one. I'm game for giving up B. Schenn in a deal for either one. Out of the two, I think Kessel would actually help us more right now.

I have no interest in Luongo, I don't see the point in losing one albatross contract on a headcase goalie to replace it with another. I vote pass on Luongo and amnesty Bryz this offseason.

I actually voted for someone else though. I don't think any of the three above make us a Cup contender so I'd wouldn't make any huge moves at all. I think a big problem right now (among many ) is faceoffs. Since the Sharks signed Gomez, they are overloaded at the center position so maybe we could get Handzus from them .

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#9 laxgrl2PA-c

laxgrl2PA-c

• Moderators
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

depends on what we'd give up....if it's couturier, then none of the above....

if we give up schenn or voracek or Briere (in my dreams) I think vessel or bobby ryan would be good to look at on the offense side of things...

I wouldn't mind PK, but it sounds like he wants a payday, so unless we ditch a big contract then it's not gonna work....still have to keep cap ramifications in mind...

Flyers Faithful Check it out. Seriously. Because I said so.

#10 DA-42

DA-42

Always has a GAA under 2.00

• Moderators
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well Subban signed tonight, so take away that option.
The shadow alex ross cover 11

#11 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

I agree with you. This isn't me making a panic poll or anything. Just talking about rumors and such. Kessel, Subban and Luongo will be expensive. No doubt. But I'm not advocating the trade I'm listing the pros and some cons to acquiring each player. Hence why I added the "For the Love of God, do nothing!" option. I don't want to get rid of any of the young talent. But this is really more of a discussion of what is the dire need, or is the need so dire that you go out and get someone. Is Kessel a fit? Who knows? Is Subban a fit? Again, no one can be sure. But that is where the discussion comes from. Some people on these boards want both Schenns gone. Some people wouldn't mind trading Coots for Subban. It's up to the individual and I'm just interested in what everyone has to say.

I see no need for Kessel. (Best player on the TML is always presented as a superstar by most of the Canadian media.)
PK Subban is smoke & mirrors. Carries a big profile because he's hyped in a big market (like Kessel).
Bryz can win regular season games. So does 7oungo. Playoffs are a different animal. Neither is a real winner.

I've been mentioning JBo to be the replacement for Timonen for a while now. I've always said a young forward & a top 4 D. The Schenn brothers might still be enough. (& yes, I'm not a fan of either. I didn't want Braydon & adding Luke didn't make me :) )

Definite keepers for the Flyers are Giroux (no explanation needed), Couturier (we lucked into another excellent 2 way forward which I see as gold) & Read (until current contract runs out. Right now too much bang for the buck to lose.). Any other is fair game to be used as needed in a trade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we can swing something for that 1/1 when the draft positions are set I'd give a lot to be able to select Jones.
Just my opinions for what they're worth.

:cheers:

Posted Image

#12 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I see no need for Kessel. (Best player on the TML is always presented as a superstar by most of the Canadian media.)
PK Subban is smoke & mirrors. Carries a big profile because he's hyped in a big market (like Kessel).
Bryz can win regular season games. So does 7oungo. Playoffs are a different animal. Neither is a real winner.

I've been mentioning JBo to be the replacement for Timonen for a while now. I've always said a young forward & a top 4 D. The Schenn brothers might still be enough. (& yes, I'm not a fan of either. I didn't want Braydon & adding Luke didn't make me :) )

Definite keepers for the Flyers are Giroux (no explanation needed), Couturier (we lucked into another excellent 2 way forward which I see as gold) & Read (until current contract runs out. Right now too much bang for the buck to lose.). Any other is fair game to be used as needed in a trade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we can swing something for that 1/1 when the draft positions are set I'd give a lot to be able to select Jones.
Just my opinions for what they're worth.

:cheers:

Posted Image

#13 andrejb

andrejb

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

In Slovakia, we say "from mud to plash" (I had to search the translation :dizzy: ). That´d be the situation with amnestying Bryzgalov and aqcuiring Luongo. Even worse, because Canucks want significant return.

Subban signed a contract, so he´s going nowhere.

That leaves Kessel, depending on return. Ofc no Couturier or Read. I´d like to keep Simmonds as well. I doubt we´ll send Brayden to Leafs. Maybe some package around Voracek would be enough.

There´s always next year.

#14 Edu-ro

Edu-ro

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

None of those three. Yes for another player, a good, solid Dman, with some speed, if possible.
Posted Image

#15 Flyers4Life74

Flyers4Life74

#1 Shittsburgh Hater

• PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I wouldn't do anything. Bottom line is if our team plays the way they did last week against the Rags, then theres no need to do anything. Our goalie looked like the goalie we signed a year and a half ago, the team played great overall team defense, and we scored. That game there should be continuously used as an example of what SHOULD BE.

9gkdqp.jpg

5/7/14......the Hextall era begins....

#16 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I wouldn't do anything. Bottom line is if our team plays the way they did last week against the Rags, then theres no need to do anything. Our goalie looked like the goalie we signed a year and a half ago, the team played great overall team defense, and we scored. That game there should be continuously used as an example of what SHOULD BE.

I'd have to say that I wouldn't want to use that game as an example. The rags played an overtime game in Boston the night before and that was a close game against a tired team.

Tonights game will be a better indication of where this team stands IMO as both teams should be well rested.

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#17 Flyers4Life74

Flyers4Life74

#1 Shittsburgh Hater

• PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'd have to say that I wouldn't want to use that game as an example. The rags played an overtime game in Boston the night before and that was a close game against a tired team.

Tonights game will be a better indication of where this team stands IMO as both teams should be well rested.

Not so much about the Rags being tired from the night before. I'm just looking at it like all the right things we did as a team.

But you're right, tonight will be a better indicator as both teams are rested.

Edited by Brierre1974, 29 January 2013 - 10:18 AM.

9gkdqp.jpg

5/7/14......the Hextall era begins....

#18 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Not so much about the Rags being tired from the night before. I'm just looking at it like all the right things we did as a team.

But you're right, tonight will be a better indicator as both teams are rested.

I'm but to me that would be like saying look at all the bad things they did in the Tampa game. Tampa was fresh and the Flyers were exhausted.

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#19 ericmedc

ericmedc

is needed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Trade a 2nd pick for Loungo and 2 2nd picks, then amnesty whoever plays worst of L/B

Why they would do that trade? If they're about to amnesty Loungo, this would save that organisation money. Guess the Canucks have that money, but whatever. Flyers have all the money in the world to buy picks if the could, this is one way.

Trade Read, Cousins and picks for Subban

Why?

Cause that name is awesome, and there's a lack of black in the orange and the black

Trade Couturier, Giroux and a 1st for Crosby

Why?

Crosby will likey captain the next all star game, where he can choose to draft Kessel last, for the luls. That's the only thing I want to have with Kessel to be assoiciated with the Flyers

For the encore

Trade Hartnell, Laughton, every 7th D they want, every pick left - for Bowie

this is my answer to the thread
Hakuna Matata

I predict that my point is more correct then yours. With the help of time zones, those predictions are usually quite accurate

#20 TheGrog

TheGrog

Prospect

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Subban is gone, resigned with Les Habitantes

Subban resigns with Canadiens
RANGERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use