SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

Who to Amnesty Next Off Season?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn

Fire Homer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Now that there is knowledge that you can buyout two players contracts either next summer or the following summer, who do you do it to for the Flyers?

They are in a cap nightmare, so I believe it would be dumb not to use it.

Rumor is you can't use it on a LTIR player, so Pronger is out.

I would say Briere and Bryz.

Section 103 Row 6

#2 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,304 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

You may be able to get Pronger healthy enough to play one shift this season and then get rid of his contract.

I say Bryz no matter what and see what happens.

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#3 heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn

Fire Homer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

You may be able to get Pronger healthy enough to play one shift this season and then get rid of his contract.

I say Bryz no matter what and see what happens.

Why Amnesty Pronger if you can bury him on LTIR?

Section 103 Row 6

#4 CARTMAG

CARTMAG

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Unless briz really really gets his head out of the universe... Amnesty him... Beyond that is anyone's guess... Will depend on player...... First goal goes to Giroux

#5 Mitt

Mitt

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

A couple reasons.

1. It would allow Pronger to retire with grace and be done with it instead of dragging it on for 4 more years.
2. Even though he's on LTIR, his salary DOES go against the cap in the off season which could handcuff Homer at times.
Posted Image

#6 heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn

Fire Homer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

A couple reasons.

1. It would allow Pronger to retire with grace and be done with it instead of dragging it on for 4 more years.
2. Even though he's on LTIR, his salary DOES go against the cap in the off season which could handcuff Homer at times.

True, but they did confirm you can't Amnesty a LTIR player, so unless Pronger can lace them up one more time I think he is stuck.

Section 103 Row 6

#7 Mitt

Mitt

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

True, but they did confirm you can't Amnesty a LTIR player, so unless Pronger can lace them up one more time I think he is stuck.

Who confirmed that? Where did you read that. Curious as I haven't found any confirmed details.
Posted Image

#8 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,304 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

A couple reasons.

This is why I would.

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#9 Splusd

Splusd

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Amnesty Bryz for sure. Briere- keep him and save the second amnesty for a future homer brain fart signing. Briere's contract is up after 2014-2015. He's set to make 3m in 2013-2014 and 2m in the final year. Buying that out seems a little ridiculous if you ask me since we have to wait until next year before unloading anyway.

#10 laxgrl2PA-c

laxgrl2PA-c

• Moderators
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Amnesty Bryz for sure. Briere- keep him and save the second amnesty for a future homer brain fart signing. Briere's contract is up after 2014-2015. He's set to make 3m in 2013-2014 and 2m in the final year. Buying that out seems a little ridiculous if you ask me since we have to wait until next year before unloading anyway.

well, we won't see anything this season, however I assume we may need some cap space to be cap compliant next season. Briere makes sense because he will have the highest cap hit on the team at 6.5mil and he's aging. I honestly don't think this will happen though since the organization loves him so much.

Do we know what the details are of the buyout options? will the buyouts have full cap amnesty or will there be a percentage that counts against the cap?

Flyers Faithful Check it out. Seriously. Because I said so.

#11 andrejb

andrejb

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Easy question for me. Bryzgalov and Pronger.

There´s always next year.

#12 laxgrl2PA-c

laxgrl2PA-c

• Moderators
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Easy question for me. Bryzgalov and Pronger.

I don't think they can use it on Pronger unless he's cleared to play

I think Bryz would be fine if the Flyers tweak their system a bit, I'm not sure they need to use a buyout on him unless there is a valid replacement that they have or can bring in.

They may need to look at some of the more inflated contracts that probably don't warrant the cap hit they were given.

Flyers Faithful Check it out. Seriously. Because I said so.

#13 The_Mighty_Tim

The_Mighty_Tim

The Notorious T.I.M.

• Moderators
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Are these buyouts a one-time only thing, or do teams get two buyouts every season under the new CBA?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I haven't had chance to read all the intricacies of the new agreement.

#14 toughfighter83

toughfighter83

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I don't think they can use it on Pronger unless he's cleared to play

I think Bryz would be fine if the Flyers tweak their system a bit, I'm not sure they need to use a buyout on him unless there is a valid replacement that they have or can bring in.

They may need to look at some of the more inflated contracts that probably don't warrant the cap hit they were given.

i agree with you, as much i want a cup so bad, i dont understand how getting rid of bryz is the answer, when this team doesnt have a proven goalie to take over him, alot of people dont seem to want to understand that because it's all about hating the goalie and if does struggle when i expect he will then im giving him a pass because if they do get rid of him and they rely on a phantom goalie and becomes a goalie mary go round again, fans are making themselves look like fools and then they are going to ask why did we get rid of him? because you want to hate rather than keep a proven goalie. LA didnt win a cup because of quick he was struggling as much as brodeur was, it was because they had good coaching and they were shooting the puck, which the flyers are the opposite of that which was why the devils kicked our butts.

#15 andrejb

andrejb

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Are these buyouts a one-time only thing, or do teams get two buyouts every season under the new CBA?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I haven't had chance to read all the intricacies of the new agreement.

Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season.

So teams can use it only in summer 2013 and summer 2014.

Edited by andrejb, 07 January 2013 - 11:29 AM.

There´s always next year.

#16 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,304 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

i agree with you, as much i want a cup so bad, i dont understand how getting rid of bryz is the answer, when this team doesnt have a proven goalie to take over him, alot of people dont seem to want to understand that because it's all about hating the goalie and if does struggle when i expect he will then im giving him a pass because if they do get rid of him and they rely on a phantom goalie and becomes a goalie mary go round again, fans are making themselves look like fools and then they are going to ask why did we get rid of him? because you want to hate rather than keep a proven goalie. LA didnt win a cup because of quick he was struggling as much as brodeur was, it was because they had good coaching and they were shooting the puck, which the flyers are the opposite of that which was why the devils kicked our butts.

It doesn't matter who the goalie is if you can't afford to put a good team in front of him. If you lose Bryz and that horrible contract of his you can pick up some d-men ( lets remember that they are now relying on an "old" Timonen and a "flash in the pan" Coburn to lead the defence right now ). You can have Roy in his prime getting lit up like a X-mass tree here.

A good defensive system can make a marginal goalie look great, Phoenix has proved this. Bryzgalovs huge contract needs to be off the Flyers books .

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#17 The_Mighty_Tim

The_Mighty_Tim

The Notorious T.I.M.

• Moderators
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season.

So teams can use it only in summer 2013 and summer 2014.

Thanks! :)

#18 LatentC

LatentC

3rd-string beach ball repellant

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Who confirmed that? Where did you read that. Curious as I haven't found any confirmed details.

I heard it straight from the mouth of Panotch last night (if you can believe him) when he and the "regulars" (like Morganti) sat down to discuss the upcoming Flyers season.

There really doesn't need to be so much debate over the first contract to amnesty...it's Bryz, without a doubt. Considering how it's such a massive contract over a long period of time, and then throw in last year's nightmare (before his short epiphany), and this is a pretty simple decision. Ditch the Cosmonaut, and make moves for a replacement. 7uongo? Bernier? There are plenty of options out there that won't necessarily have us drinking ourselves into a stupor again this year.

As for the 2nd amnesty, Briere and Hartnell are the only other 2 glaring options that I see available, based on contract length and impact. Depending on their performance this year, one of them may be packing bags instead of burying pucks (or in Briere's case, missing high-and-wide) :tehesmily:

HOCKEY TALK OMFG *foams at mouth*

welcome to FLYERS!nhl.com - where we will verbally slap you so hard that you'll think you just fell off the bridge to Terabithia...and DROWNED...#yeahIwentThere #spoilerz   :ph34r:
hailtheking2.jpg

#19 Flyers4Life74

Flyers4Life74

#1 Shittsburgh Hater

• PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I think the general consensus is Bryz and Briere. I'll add to that. While I'm standing firmly behind Bryz after the great 2nd half turnaround he had last year, if he doesn't play up to expectation this year then I'm sure he'll get amnestied.

9gkdqp.jpg

5/7/14......the Hextall era begins....

#20 flyersfan27

flyersfan27

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

With this amnesty clause. If it is used on a players contract, can that player remain on the team for the duration of his contract? Or are they bought out, put back on the market, and go to the highest bidder?

Edited by flyersfan27, 08 January 2013 - 01:00 AM.

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use