SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

IIHF World Junior Championships 2013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

Poll: IIHF World Junior Championships 2013 (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Which country will win?

1. Canada (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. USA (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Russia (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Sweden (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. Finland (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. Germany (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Uganda (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LatentC

LatentC

悪名。憎しみ。楽しい気分。

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Is everyone else as excited as I am that the tournament is finally starting?! :2yippee:

Looks like two preliminary matches were held today, USA X Sweden and Canada X Finland:

Canada 2, Finland 3

Sounds like Canada took a couple stupid penalties that led to 5-on-3s. Granlund, Aaltonen and Jarvelainen scored for Finland while Griffin Reinhart (!) and Mark Scheifele scored for Canada. :cheers:

USA 3, Sweden 2 (no link yet)

This game went into overtime, with Molin and Rackell scoring for Sweden while (Connor) Murphy and Hartman scored for team USA. Flyers third-round pick this past Draft, Shayne Gostisbehere (defenseman) scored the game-winner in overtime. "Ghost" (as some call him) has had a great camp this year and is showing tons of improvement. To be honest, I wasn't sold on him at the Draft, mainly due to his small frame, but Ghost has been utilizing his speed and skill to his advantage, scoring 13 points in 13 games thus far this season on his college (NCAA) team. Apparently (according to this front-page article on Flyers.com, Ghost was rated as the #4 overall NCAA prospect. It'll be exciting to see how he fares in the coming WJC tournament games (the ones that count). :popcorn:

First round starts this Saturday (22nd) with USA X Finland and Canada X Sweden. Entire schedule can be found here.

No thread is safe...your post-count is insufficient......oh yeah, and LET'S GO FLYERS! :ph34r:
zamb1_a.png

#2 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

@ least I know I won't be the only 1 paying attention.

The games will be in the middle of the night but that's what time shifting is for. I'll just ignore sports sites until I've watched the games I've taped.
I'll be watching all those featuring either Canada or the US.

My hopeful prediction:
Gold - Canada
Silver - USA
Bronze - Finland

:cheers:

Posted Image

#3 The_Mighty_Tim

The_Mighty_Tim

The Notorious T.I.M.

• Moderators
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

Team GB narrowly avoided getting demoted to Division II the other week. Slightly disappointing, as only a few years back, we almost got promoted to play alongside you guys.

#4 Legion-of-Gloom

Legion-of-Gloom

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Do you guys know if there are any Flyers picks playing in this tournament??

#5 tymed

tymed

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Do you guys know if there are any Flyers picks playing in this tournament??

Shayne Gostisbehere for team USA. I caught half of their pre tournament game last night against Sweden and they were confidently using him in all of their offensive situations. He looks pretty confident with the puck and ended up scoring the OT game winner with a boomer from the point off the draw. Beauty shot.

Other than him I'm really not sure if we have others, haven't looked into it. At least it's something, and a 3rd rounder to boot.

#6 szilhockey25

szilhockey25

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

USA Best player on offense Gaudreau is from south jersey

#7 LatentC

LatentC

悪名。憎しみ。楽しい気分。

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'd like to make it clear that I switch my pick from Canada to team USA. Pretty disgusted by Canada's defense of that dumb goon Jenner after he sent that Swedish kid out of the tournament with a fractured wrist and dislocated shoulder. Glad Jenner got suspended for 3 games, although I personally believe that he should have to miss the same amount of games that the injured kid will miss: in other words, the rest of the tourney. :pb:

That and I'm mainly cheering for our guy GHOST! (Gostisbehere) Light up the lamp!

Though I won't deny that it's great to see RNH, Strome, Scheifele, Mackinnon, Drouin and many other top prospects/"young guns" lining Canada's bench. Should be quite an interesting tournament if they perform up to (already lofty) expectations. :cheers:

Edited by LatentC, 25 December 2012 - 09:32 PM.

No thread is safe...your post-count is insufficient......oh yeah, and LET'S GO FLYERS! :ph34r:
zamb1_a.png

#8 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'd like to make it clear that I switch my pick from Canada to team USA. Pretty disgusted by Canada's defense of that dumb goon Jenner after he sent that Swedish kid out of the tournament with a fractured wrist and dislocated shoulder. Glad Jenner got suspended for 3 games, although I personally believe that he should have to miss the same amount of games that the injured kid will miss: in other words, the rest of the tourney. :pb:

Dumb Canadian goons were largely responsible for the SCs in 1973-74 & 1974-75.

Posted Image

#9 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

QFT

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#10 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,379 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Go USA and Canada!

Just remember who hyped up Gostisbehere first. ;)
Posted Image

#11 LeLindros

LeLindros

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

i picked Finland cause i want the Flyers to draft Ristolainen.

#12 Flyersrule25

Flyersrule25

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Still shocked to see a guy like RNH playing. He is going to dominate. 5 points today. Not sure how this is good/challenging for him.

#13 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

US vs Germany tomorrow. 8 am where I am but I'll be watching.

Posted Image

#14 Legion-of-Gloom

Legion-of-Gloom

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Right On

#15 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,379 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

We need Seth Jones.
Posted Image

#16 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,379 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Gostisbehere scores
Posted Image

#17 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

We need Seth Jones.

I totally agree. Who can we trade for that 1/1 pick though?

Jones playing 1st pairing while MacKinnon plays 4th line should push Jones to 1st as the play in the WJC sticks in scouts & GMs mind.

Posted Image

#18 LatentC

LatentC

悪名。憎しみ。楽しい気分。

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

I totally agree. Who can we trade for that 1/1 pick though?

Jones playing 1st pairing while MacKinnon plays 4th line should push Jones to 1st as the play in the WJC sticks in scouts & GMs mind.

LOL, won't happen. You've gotta draft the best player available, and D-men typically take longer to develop. Everyone will be chewing at the bit to draft Mackinnon, the elite scoring forward, despite Spott's asinine idea to keep the poor kid on the 4th line. He should have been paired with Drouin and Huberdeau like he was in an earlier tournament, they had excellent chemistry. Spott is trying to force chemistry which is just plain stupid. :dizzy:

So how in the world did Spott even become coach of the Kitchener Rangers in the first place if he does stupid **** like this?

Also, Ghost is really kicking ***, eh? The more I see of the kid, the more excited I get to see him in the orange & black (if we ever see another NHL game, that is...) <_<

Also, Malcolm Subban is rather overrated. Pretty disappointed with his play thus far, but there's still plenty of big games left in this tourney for him to prove himself.

zamb1_a.png

#19 The_Mighty_Tim

The_Mighty_Tim

The Notorious T.I.M.

• Moderators
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

Eeeee hockey talk! I'm so excited!!

#20 LatentC

LatentC

悪名。憎しみ。楽しい気分。

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Eeeee hockey talk! I'm so excited!!

Iknorite? Good times! :cheers:

Now that USA has dropped games to both Russia and Canada, it's looking much more likely that Canada could take this tournament. If only Team USA had a decent goaltender...even Subban is better than what we've got.

If only Makarov would defect to the US...we'd be unstoppable. That man was a beast last year (sadly his team's offense fell short), and is doing much of the same this year with his 40+ saves in matches.

Not to imply that Vasilevski isn't amazing as well, though. Russia sure has some excellent 'tenders. If only Yakupov would stop talking **** and put up the numbers he's supposed to, Russia would give Canada a run for their money. My bets are on Canada for the upcoming RussiaXCanada match-up.

Edited by LatentC, 30 December 2012 - 07:06 PM.

zamb1_a.png

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use