SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

Small Market Ramifications

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 xXACACIA89

xXACACIA89

2nd Line Winger

• Moderators
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

I was hoping someone with more knowledge about this than me could provide some insight. Does a lockout hurt small market teams or does it actually help them because they don't have to pay the players? I know it can't truly help them, since what little interest they were generating in the sport will likely be stifled by the time we have hockey again. I'm just wondering about immediate financial matters.

Also, one thing I haven't heard anyone talk much about is the Nashville Predators' situation. They still have that nasty 14 million dollar signing bonus that they have to pay Weber regardless of whether or not there is a season, correct? Would the lack of any revenue this year put that team into financial trouble after stomping on my dream of having Weber play for the Flyers? I have to admit, the Philly fan in me spitefully would like to watch them struggle should we lose the season entirely. I'm wondering if theres a possibility they look to dump his salary after the year is up and we end up with him after all. I know, probably wishful thinking.

#2 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

The first year of Weber's contract is the toughest. They chose to match while being fully aware of a potential lockout. If they were willing to swallow this year I don't see why they would suddenly dump him.
Posted Image

#3 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

I would think its worse for small market teams.

Small markets teams need the income more whereas larger market owners can more afford to sit and wait. Small market teams also need to worry about lost interest from fans, lets face it, when hockey returns Philly and other big markets will have no issues with ticket sales (except from me, I'll watch from home or the bar from here on out )but these teams that already had sales issues may have even less.

Hopefully, this will put some teams out and the league will nee to retract. I think this would be good everyone, well, with the exception of guys who really don't belong in the NHL anyway...Jody Shelley, Dan Carcillo ect.

I really don't think I want Weber now, too much money in a league where the cap may go down and he really just played Holmgren to get the money he wanted to stay in Nashville. I think he's a P.O.S. personally. I hope that guaranteed money puts Nashville out of buisness, hope that in turn voids that contract, then he gets signed somewhere else for a lot less money.

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#4 agswanlek

agswanlek

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thought this was a really cool article.

Lemons and Lemonade, ya know?

http://espn.go.com/n...ut-enrich-staff
LETS GO FLYERS

#5 LeLindros

LeLindros

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Thought this was a really cool article.

Lemons and Lemonade, ya know?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8639544/nhl-buffalo-sabres-use-lockout-enrich-staff

Good link. My respect went up for the Sabres organization. Classy move.

I too wonder how this lockout shake things up. I've been hoping like many others that the NHL would return to Quebec City. Best case scenario I think is that Phoenix moves to Seattle and either Preds, Islanders, or Panthers move to QC, even though Phoenix reportedly struck some deal to stay put for 20 years.

Between Oregon and Washington state, I believe there are 5 WHL teams - the Portland Winterhawks having the best record this year. So the area supports hockey. Seattle should get a stadium that supports the NBA/NHL by 2015. It'll be good for the sport and the league as I can see a good rivalry begin to brew between them and the Canucks/Sharks. I go to school in Washington and I've gotten my roomates hooked on the Flyers/Penguins series last year. They already get the Canadian Sports channel which let me watch the Flyers when they play someone north of the border!!

http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/10/1/3437784/frozon-grounds-nhl-team-rumored-for-sale

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/2012/11/27/seattle-nhl-target-one-step-closer-to-staying-put/

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use