SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

The Current Team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1795 replies to this topic

#1 KyleBucket

KyleBucket

#SaveUsHexy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Well, I figured now that camp is officially under way, it's time to make this thread again (based off it's overall "success" this past year). My first thought after seeing Homer's direction, whether accidental or not, is that someone out of camp will make this roster. While Cousins and Laughton are still very raw, I won't be surprised to see them start in the NHL. It's apparent that he's willing to yet a young nucleus grow together (again) and this would be the year to experiment.

93 days until the Home Opener! :2yippee:

nlxsts.jpg

#2 szilhockey25

szilhockey25

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

93 days until the Home Opener! :2yippee:

Lets hope so ;)

#3 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

As of today, I'd have to say the current team is not even as good as last years team.

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#4 KyleBucket

KyleBucket

#SaveUsHexy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

As of today, I'd have to say the current team is not even as good as last years team.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. But, I do look forward to our young guys handling a full load this time around and seeing how they'll perform.

nlxsts.jpg

#5 pat-1

pat-1

Old Timer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. But, I do look forward to our young guys handling a full load this time around and seeing how they'll perform.

Actually, if Homer doesn't do anything really stupid, like trade the world for Ryan, Nash or Weber and doesn't blow all the cap space on Semin or somebody else that really won't help that much.....I'd have to say this is by far his best offseason ever.

He can see how well they are doing by the trade deadline and make moves accordingly. The young guys get more experience as you said and next season's FA market has the potential to be great. It may be a throw away season, but who knows ?

Go Razor

Old Time Hockey

#6 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

Laughton and Cousins won't make the team. They aren't physically ready.
Posted Image

#7 KyleBucket

KyleBucket

#SaveUsHexy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

Laughton and Cousins won't make the team. They aren't physically ready.

Well, like I said, they're very raw. I just wouldn't be that shocked with the way direction this team seems to be heading this season. I'd expect Cousins (if anyone at all), but I'm not holding my breath...it was just a thought.

Also, Pat, I don't recall saying the class was great. There are certainly some players (Getz, Perry, Webs) but some of the guys I'd like are RFA's. :angry:

Edited by KyleBucket, 10 July 2012 - 03:14 AM.

nlxsts.jpg

#8 jdecker7

jdecker7

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

Actually, if Homer doesn't do anything really stupid, like trade the world for Ryan, Nash or Weber and doesn't blow all the cap space on Semin or somebody else that really won't help that much.....I'd have to say this is by far his best offseason ever.

He can see how well they are doing by the trade deadline and make moves accordingly. The young guys get more experience as you said and next season's FA market has the potential to be great. It may be a throw away season, but who knows ?

My thoughts exactly. While I do not believe this team is as good on paper as last year, I think the more playing time our young guys get the better the team looks for the future, next year may not be the year we win it, but then again crazier things have happened in the NHL. There are a lot of good FA'S next year so I wouldn't be surprised if we trade for someone big at the deadline.

I really don't want semin or Doan, a year from now I think we will all be happy we didn't sign them, let someone else overpay for them. Good players, just not worth what they are going to sign for
WVU Mountaineers
Flyers-Eagles-Phillies-Sixers

#9 GirouxBG

GirouxBG

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

The Flyers will open the 2012-13 preseason on Tuesday, Sept 25 vs. Chicago.
Full schedule :

Tuesday, September 25: Flyers vs. Blackhawks at Wells Fargo Center
Wednesday, September 26: Flyers vs. Maple Leafs at John Labatt Centre in London, Ont.
Saturday, September 29: Flyers vs. Rangers at Wells Fargo Center
Monday, October 1: Flyers vs. Devils at Wells Fargo Center
Tuesday, October 2: Flyers at Maple Leafs in Toronto, Ont.
Friday, October 5: Flyers at Devils in Newark, N.J.
Saturday, October 6: Flyers at Blackhawks in Chicago, Ill.

Edited by GirouxBG, 10 July 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#10 Flyers4Life74

Flyers4Life74

#1 Shittsburgh Hater

• PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Just read a nice article on Scott Laughton. Saying he's a good two way player like Couturier and he plays alot Mike Richards. Gonna be a nice addition once he's ready. That is unless of course Homer trades him.

9gkdqp.jpg

5/7/14......the Hextall era begins....

#11 Legion-of-Gloom

Legion-of-Gloom

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

I would have to agree,I look at this year as a rebuild so I do not expect us to compete for the Cup,I think guys such as Simmonds, Talbot and Read will score less goals this year, but think Schenn and Couturier will improve and I hope Bryz makes a humongous big improvement, I like the fact we have cap space and hope it is used wisely.

#12 KyleBucket

KyleBucket

#SaveUsHexy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

I would have to agree,I look at this year as a rebuild so I do not expect us to compete for the Cup,I think guys such as Simmonds, Talbot and Read will score less goals this year, but think Schenn and Couturier will improve and I hope Bryz makes a humongous big improvement, I like the fact we have cap space and hope it is used wisely.

Man...a rebuild? C'mon. We gutted our team last year and did quite fine. We've let two people go so far and have a trade that seems like a wash (until proven otherwise). I wouldn't call that a "rebuilding year."

nlxsts.jpg

#13 Legion-of-Gloom

Legion-of-Gloom

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Man...a rebuild? C'mon. We gutted our team last year and did quite fine. We've let two people go so far and have a trade that seems like a wash (until proven otherwise). I wouldn't call that a "rebuilding year."

If we are going to rely on the kids to play more especially on defense, we will have growing pains and the team will have a "rebuilding year." feel to it, Homer can still change that.Our regular season was Ok, but our playoff performance was awful, but it was awful the previous year too.

#14 KyleBucket

KyleBucket

#SaveUsHexy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

If we are going to rely on the kids to play more especially on defense, we will have growing pains and the team will have a "rebuilding year." feel to it, Homer can still change that.Our regular season was Ok, but our playoff performance was awful, but it was awful the previous year too.

I have no doubt there will be growing pains. I think we were very lucky last year to have guys who matured and produced so quickly. But, I expect a much better year out of Bryz and that can make all the difference while some of the growing pains happen.

nlxsts.jpg

#15 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Well, like I said, they're very raw. I just wouldn't be that shocked with the way direction this team seems to be heading this season. I'd expect Cousins (if anyone at all), but I'm not holding my breath...it was just a thought.

Also, Pat, I don't recall saying the class was great. There are certainly some players (Getz, Perry, Webs) but some of the guys I'd like are RFA's. :angry:

I'd be shocked because they aren't rebuilding. They just need to be patient and let their current youth develop rather than signing/trading for a long term solution to fit a short term problem like they did with Briere and Bryz. There's really no need to have Laughton or Cousins on the roster. They still have a lot to learn. It's different than Couturier who dominated the QMJHL two years in a row.
Posted Image

#16 KyleBucket

KyleBucket

#SaveUsHexy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'd be shocked because they aren't rebuilding. They just need to be patient and let their current youth develop rather than signing/trading for a long term solution to fit a short term problem like they did with Briere and Bryz. There's really no need to have Laughton or Cousins on the roster. They still have a lot to learn. It's different than Couturier who dominated the QMJHL two years in a row.

Haha, I wasn't saying just GIVE them a roster spot. I was saying if anyone earned one, I could see it being one of those two. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Cousins brings when he gets to the NHL level.

nlxsts.jpg

#17 PhillyCrush

PhillyCrush

The Engineer

• PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

I like this season coming. The only thing I am worried about is G's RW, maybe move Cooter there, he has a really nice/hard wrist shot and could use his body along the boards like Jagr.

I think(hope) that our defense will be much better playing in their own end, if that happens there is no reason a 100pt+, 3rd/5th seeding isn't possible. As much as we may have lost Jagr/JVR, I believe once again like last year people will step up to supplement those goals. Our D is much tougher with a full season of Gross and hopefully a revitalized LuSchenn.

And Rusty helps our PK unit and gives more rest for G to be out more during even strength.

Bryz turns it around and is on the cusp for Vezina.

Edited by HeShootsHesPoor, 12 July 2012 - 12:26 PM.

WayneSimmonds1_zps2e20b472.png

#18 andrejb

andrejb

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Why can´t we see fouth line of Wellwood-Holmstrom-Zolnierczyk? Or maybe Talbot on 4th line and one of them as 13th forward. In another words, fourth line of players who actually can play. Why are we instead dressing Rinaldo/Shelley/Sestito? They can play their game in AHL.

There´s always next year.

#19 Flyers4Life74

Flyers4Life74

#1 Shittsburgh Hater

• PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'm probably the only one on this board that likes Rinaldo. But then again I'm partial to the "goon" style of playing. One thing I like about him is when the season started last year, all he did was take penalties and get into fights. As the season went on, he focused more on his game. If you really watch him play he's a good skater and a good puck handler and he's only gonna get better. Plus he brings the toughness that every team wants.

9gkdqp.jpg

5/7/14......the Hextall era begins....

#20 PhillyCrush

PhillyCrush

The Engineer

• PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm probably the only one on this board that likes Rinaldo. But then again I'm partial to the "goon" style of playing. One thing I like about him is when the season started last year, all he did was take penalties and get into fights. As the season went on, he focused more on his game. If you really watch him play he's a good skater and a good puck handler and he's only gonna get better. Plus he brings the toughness that every team wants.

I like Rinaldo now, at the beginning of last season he just ran around playing stupid, but he came along some.
He has speed and he has no quit in him yet. I actually started feeling bad for the guy toward the end of last season because even a great hit by him would be called a penalty. I am not talking about all of his hits, btu hits started to become cleaner and he showed to be more attentive with how he was setting someone up for a hit. He would regularly go full speed and coast hard into a guy and get called for charging.

I love a good fight as the next guy, but a fighter should be able to contribute in some respect for the teams success. They Dave Browns of the world 1g 3pt goon days should be gone. Any of today's goons should bring in at least 15pts+, ideally 20-25pts imo, which would not make them a goon, but a good old time hockey player.

WayneSimmonds1_zps2e20b472.png

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use