USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

The Official Fire Lavi Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
251 replies to this topic

Poll: The Official Fire Lavi Thread (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Laviolette remain the coach of the Flyers (for any length of time)?

1. Yes (19 votes [40.43%])

Percentage of vote: 40.43%

2. No (25 votes [53.19%])

Percentage of vote: 53.19%

3. I don't vote in polls. (3 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

Vote

#1 LatentC

LatentC

3rd-string beach ball repellant

• PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationI AM ZAMBONI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

The thread had to be made...I'm sure that there are a few people out there that feel Lavi should lose his job. Likewise, there are people that think the Flyers wouldn't be where they are now without him at the helm.

So, which are you? Why do you feel this way? Do you have any expectations for Lavi moving forward?

I, personally, think he's been one of the better coaches for the Flyers, but I'm not a big fan of his "dump and chase" methodology.

Players seem like they lack conditioning on some nights and that leads me to question Lavi's tactics and approach to training. It's certainly not my job to question the integrity of his work, but it makes for decent debate.

Either way, Lavi's decisions carry considerable weight. The Flyers remain without a Cup in recent years and I know at least I, as a fan, am desperate to see them win another. Is Laviolette really the way?

Posted Image

Edited by LatentC, 23 January 2013 - 02:40 PM.

welcome to FLYERS!nhl.com - where we will verbally slap you so hard that you'll think you just fell off the bridge to Terabithia...and DROWNED...#yeahIwentThere #spoilerz   :ph34r:
hailtheking2.jpg

#2 Frostythekroman

Frostythekroman

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

I went with no. While I do not like the fact that we struggle after all-star break I have to give him credit for turning around a team that seemed to have lost it for Stevens, and then now with a team that was stripped of its "core" and Captain. With all the rookies we have and the way Bryz has been playing (thankfully getting better now) we should be much lower than we are now.
That being said I too do not care for the dump and chase, and also am not a fan of all the passes that seem to go nowhere. I tend to think we need an upgrade on our assistants more than the head coach. Our PK unit is dreadful and in prior years it was the PP that blew. Some adjustments need to be done by the defense coach as well.

#3 WheresMyCup

WheresMyCup

Cup Seeker

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Laviolette has done one outstanding job with this team.

Where would this team be without Him?

This thread really blows!

Edited by WheresMyCup, 01 March 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#4 heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn

Fire Homer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Holmgren or Snider should go first, they are the real problem.

Section 103 Row 6

#5 Simmonds4Prez

Simmonds4Prez

The Engineer

• PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I tend to think we need an upgrade on our assistants more than the head coach. Our PK unit is dreadful and in prior years it was the PP that blew. Some adjustments need to be done by the defense coach as well.

^This^ is the reason why we are so inconsistant imo. I have been all over the assistants, escpecially goaltending and why the heck is Chief a coach at the NHL level?

He was a pugilist with cement blocks for hands, and should have been skating on quads. Yeah he could kick the snot out of me in a fight, but that does not make a good coach.

Reese was a poor backup goalie at best during his playing days, how does that inspire confidence in any young goalie to learn from him, especially if they do not speak the same language(Bobz).

I will put a tenatative yes for now.

Edited by HeShootsHesPoor, 04 March 2012 - 10:23 PM.

WayneSimmonds1_zps2e20b472.png

#6 allamericandan1

allamericandan1

My signature is only going to get louder and angrier.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationIrate State University

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Fire Laviolette? The man should be up for the Jack Adams for the way he's made a team like this with so much turnover, so many rookies, and so many injuries even close to contender semblance. If Bryzgalov had played half as good as everyone thought Laviolette would be the front runner for the Adams.

3tv3pb.jpg

#7 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,452 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Where did most of the board expect this team to finish? Somewhere between 5th-8th. Are we upset that they are likely going to finish where we predicted? In other words they are playing up to expectations. Not sure why the coach would need to be fired.

I think there are things he can do better, but he has inherited a young team which is the main problem. I think next season will give us more of an idea.
Posted Image

#8 Frostythekroman

Frostythekroman

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

crap I meant to put he should stay, clicked too fast without really reading. Damn I feel stupid

#9 ericmedc

ericmedc

is needed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

I went with I don't vote in polls cause I don't vote in polls
Hakuna Matata

I predict that my point is more correct then yours. With the help of time zones, those predictions are usually quite accurate

#10 Flyersrule25

Flyersrule25

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Lavi is a great coach. He is very intelligent and has a tremendous passion for the game. Just talking to him for a few minutes I saw this. If you told me before the season that Pronger would be out, we would have tons of rookies in the line up every game and our goaltending would be subpar and we would still be in the playoff race, I would have a tough time believing you. Lavi is the glue. He brings out the best in players. Just think back to his meetings with Briere and Hartnell after their divorces. He should remain here as long as possible.

#11 DA-42

DA-42

Always has a GAA under 2.00

• Moderators
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationVoorhees

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

He shouldn't be fired. He makes bad decisions at times but overall he's been an excellent coach for this team. Not to mention I think it's time the Flyers stuck with a coach instead of dumping him at the first sign of trouble (Murray, Hitchcock, Barber...).

I also don't get the criticism of Jeff Reese. This is a guy who was able to tweak Michael Leighton's style to make him a passable goaltender for this team. The goaltending this year has not been up to snuff, but can he be blamed for having a psycho to deal with (sorry Bryzgalov, I like you but you're completely out of your mind) and a second-year goalie going through a natural sophomore slump? No.
The shadow alex ross cover 11

#12 LatentC

LatentC

• PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationI AM ZAMBONI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I went with I don't vote in polls cause I don't vote in polls

Same, LOL :tehesmily:

I never said we should fire Lavi but seems like people may be misinterpreting it as such. I'm just making a thought-provoking thread.

I think Lavi should stay, he's been great thus far and like others have pointed out, it's likely our training staff that needs an overhaul.

This thread is just to get everyone thinking about what effects (positive and negative) Laviolette has had upon the organization. Looks like it's been successful so far in that regard.

We need more suggestions as to how Lavi should tweak his coaching style, IMO. We need more guys crashing the net, and defensively-responsible players back at the point on powerplays (Voracek? Really?). I'm sick of him playing 4 offensemen on the PP, it risks stupid turnovers when we have a weaker guy manning one of the points. I don't care how powerful JVR's slapshot may be, he never takes the shot from back there, and besides, it would be better served from around the hashmarks.

Does anyone have any clue as to why he plays Voracek back there? I didn't think he had a very powerful (or accurate) shot. He's got a lot of jump and can set up plays, but that wouldn't be my choice of a pointman.

Pairings like Timo-Mez and Kubina-Carle would be a better plan than running 4 O's, recent lack of offense be damned. You worry about stopping pucks first, then you worry about scoring. Of course, having Carle back on the point is always a ******* liability.

welcome to FLYERS!nhl.com - where we will verbally slap you so hard that you'll think you just fell off the bridge to Terabithia...and DROWNED...#yeahIwentThere #spoilerz   :ph34r:
hailtheking2.jpg

#13 JohnnyDrama55

JohnnyDrama55

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Timo-mez should be first unit... I wouldnt mind seeing kubina and grossman out there... even grossman and coburn.. anyone but Carle lol His shot just isnt good enough for the powerplay
If Hanrahan's wife's a dyke, does that make him a f*g?

#14 KyleBucket

KyleBucket

#SaveUsHexy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationHaunting Mike Richards

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Where did most of the board expect this team to finish? Somewhere between 5th-8th. Are we upset that they are likely going to finish where we predicted? In other words they are playing up to expectations. Not sure why the coach would need to be fired.

I think there are things he can do better, but he has inherited a young team which is the main problem. I think next season will give us more of an idea.

This.

But, I don't agree with some of his methods like most of us in here. I do think there are certain points in the season where he pushes entirely too hard (understanding they're professional athletes though). I, also, think the upgrades need to come to the assistants, not the head.

nlxsts.jpg

#15 pafenceman

pafenceman

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

i voted no , i dont think all the blame can go on the coach , i think he makes dumb moves like every coach does , but i also think he has taken this team far in past seasons and with all the young guys we have playing full time , he has his work cut for him

#16 marke79912

marke79912

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Learn the game or be a Rangers fanPosted Image
Flyers Lifer

#17 andrejb

andrejb

3rd Line Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Simple yes.

ThereĀ“s always next year.

#18 Legion-of-Gloom

Legion-of-Gloom

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ontario

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

I share your opinion.
It is easy for me to criticize certain aspects of his coaching, but he has won a Cup and I just watch the games on TV, So I will leave the coaching to him, but if we do not make a big improvement in the next two years it might be time for a change.

#19 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Same, LOL :tehesmily:

I never said we should fire Lavi but seems like people may be misinterpreting it as such. I'm just making a thought-provoking thread.

The thread title kinda implies otherwise. ^_^

I don't think he deserves to be fired at this point, but I wouldn't mind trading him for Dave Tippett if we could.
Posted Image

#20 LatentC

LatentC

• PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationI AM ZAMBONI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

The thread title kinda implies otherwise. ^_^

I don't think he deserves to be fired at this point, but I wouldn't mind trading him for Dave Tippett if we could.

It's named after the "Official Fire Homer Thread"...it seemed obvious to me, but apparently I need to spell it out for others. :blink:

While I don't like Lavi's methodology, it seems with each game more and more players are growing accustomed to that style of play. The playoffs this year are going to be stressful...*starts drinking preemptively* :cheers:

hailtheking2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use