SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Welcome to the Official Site of the Philadelphia Flyers

Photo

League going to 4 Conference set up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

The NHL embraced its first major realignment since 1998 when the board of governors voted to switch to a new four-conference format that will also guarantee that every team will play the other 29 teams at least twice every season.

The breakdown of the four new conferences:

East 1: New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Carolina and Washington

East II: Florida, Tampa, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa and Boston.

Central: Columbus, Detroit, Winnipeg, Nashville, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis and Chicago

West: Phoenix, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary

Sixteen teams will still make the playoffs, and the first two rounds of the playoffs will be within the conference.

"I think it's good for almost everybody in the league," Nashville Predators general manager David Poile said. "We know this is a very contentious issue … but at the end of the day, everyone went in the direction of doing what's right for the league."

Realignment became necessary because the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg and the Jets needed to be moved to the West.

The NHL had moved to six divisions in 1998 to accommodate the latest wave of expansion.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011-12-05/nhl-realignment/51663386/1
Posted Image

#2 Mitt

Mitt

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

http://www.usatoday....ment/51663386/1

No Florida teams in our conference.....THANK GOODNESS!!
Posted Image

#3 Mitt

Mitt

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

http://www.usatoday....ment/51663386/1

New playoff format

Once the playoffs are down to one team from each conference, the NHL will re-seed based on the regular-season records of the four finalists. No. 1 will play No. 4 in one semifinal and No. 2 will play No. 3 in the other. The winners of those two series will face each other in the Stanley Cup Final.
Posted Image

#4 Edu-ro

Edu-ro

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:18 AM

The conference with the Florida teams and the Canadian ones is looking very strange, geographically speaking, but I like it. And I certainly like the new playoff format.
Posted Image

#5 The_Mighty_Tim

The_Mighty_Tim

The Notorious T.I.M.

• Moderators
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:39 AM

If this alignment had been in place last season, the playoffs would have consisted of:

East 1: WAS, PHI, PIT, NYR
East 2: BOS, TB, MTL, BUF
Central: DET, NAS, CHI, DAL,
West: VAN, SJ, ANA, PHO

Of those teams, 15 really did make it to the playoffs. In the new system, DAL would have replaced LA.

Now, what I've done is attempted to simulate what would have happened in the playoffs. Although how the playoffs will exactly work is unknown (as to who plays who), I've simulated it using the following rules:

1. In the first round, the first placed team in a conference plays the fourth placed, and the second plays the third.
2. The winners from the first rounds meet their conference mates in the second round.
3. For the third round, East 1 winner plays East 2 winner and Central winner plays West.
4. Those winners meet for the Stanley Cup.

I simulated the results thus:

1. If a matchup really occurred in last year's playoffs, then that result is taken.
2. If not, the season series result is used.
3. If that ends in a tie, the highest finishing team goes through.

The simulation results are as follows:

First Round
WAS v NYR - WAS beat NYR 4:1 in the playoffs
PHI v PIT - PHI beat PIT 4:2 in the season series
BOS v BUF - BUF beat BOS 4:2 in the season series
TB v MTL - season series tied 2:2 - TB placed higher
DET v DAL - DAL beat DET 3:1 in the season series
NAS v CHI - season series tied 3:3 - NAS placed higher
VAN v PHO - season series tied 2:2 - VAN placed higher
SJ v ANA - season series tied 3:3 - SJ placed higher

Second Round
WAS v PHI - season series tied 2:2 - WAS placed higher
BUF v TB - season series tied 2:2 - TB placed higher
DAL v NAS - season series tied 2:2 - NAS placed higher
VAN v SJ - VAN beat SJ 4:1 in the playoffs

Third Round
WAS v TB - TB beat WAS 4:0 in the playoffs
NAS v VAN - VAN beat NAS 4:2 in the playoffs

Stanley Cup Final
TB v VAN - TB beat VAN 1:0 in the season series

#6 Edu-ro

Edu-ro

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:53 AM

Nice work, Tim!
Posted Image

#7 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

A Misguided Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Cool Tim.

Vancouver still loses! :P

Posted Image

#8 DA-42

DA-42

Always has a GAA under 2.00

• Moderators
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

I thought what Tim did was interesting, so I did the same thing but instead I used the WhatIfSports.com engine to simulate the games. It's not perfect since it doesn't take season injuries into account (like Sidney Crosby or Jonas Hiller being out), but I've always liked it a lot and wanted to try it for this.

Rd 1

WSH def NYR 4-2
PHI def PIT 4-1
BOS def BUF 4-3
TBL def MTL 4-3
DET def DAL 4-1
NSH def CHI 4-2
VAN def PHX 4-3
ANA def SJS 4-2

Rd 2

PHI def WSH 4-1
BOS def TBL 4-1
NSH def DET 4-1
ANA def VAN 4-2

Rd 3

PHI def NSH 4-1
BOS def ANA 4-2

Rd 4

BOS def PHI 4-3

Boston Bruins with the Stanley Cup!
The shadow alex ross cover 11

#9 ericmedc

ericmedc

is needed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

You should be stripped your mod status and get banned for posting a simulation were the Flyers loose a game 7 in the finals to the bruins
Hakuna Matata

I predict that my point is more correct then yours. With the help of time zones, those predictions are usually quite accurate

#10 DA-42

DA-42

• Moderators
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

You should be stripped your mod status and get banned for posting a simulation were the Flyers loose a game 7 in the finals to the bruins

At home, I might add.

#11 TSA

TSA

Carolina Hurricanes Admin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Geez, even in fantasy simulations the Cane's don't make the playoffs :(

#12 DA-42

DA-42

• Moderators
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Geez, even in fantasy simulations the Cane's don't make the playoffs :(

Unfortunately for them it's going to be even tougher to make the playoffs in their new division (conference, whatever).

#13 TSA

TSA

Carolina Hurricanes Admin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

We know. We are to the new conference what the Tampa Rays are to the AL East. We're hoping for some of the same success the Rays have had. At the very least, the Canes are going to have spend more money and raise the skill level to at least make themselves more competitive.

Edited by TSA, 08 December 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#14 The_Mighty_Tim

The_Mighty_Tim

The Notorious T.I.M.

• Moderators
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

We know. We are to the new conference what the Tampa Rays are to the AL East. We're hoping for some of the same success the Rays have had. At the very least, the Canes are going to have spend more money and raise the skill level to at least make themselves more competitive.

Well, the Rays did make it to the World Series one year. However, they were beaten by a certain Pennsylvania based team, famed for it's furry green mascot... :P

#15 Johnthrax

Johnthrax

Prospect

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

Maybe I'm just thick, or haven't read enough about the realignment...but why the 4 conference system instead of two conferences with 2 divisions in each?

#16 PenaltyKiller

PenaltyKiller

R.I.P. Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

Invest more in drafting and development. I don't understand why small market teams don't have the biggest scouting staffs around. More success on the developmental level will save them money in the long run and make them more competitive.
Posted Image

#17 propp16

propp16

Starting Goalie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,503 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd try to find my post suggesting the NHL do exactly this and see how close I was. I know it wasn't perfect, as I suggested some teams collapsing and others moving.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Mitt

Mitt

2nd Line Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd try to find my post suggesting the NHL do exactly this and see how close I was. I know it wasn't perfect, as I suggested some teams collapsing and others moving.

Here's a radical idea: Fold the Devils, Coyotes, Islanders, Panthers, and Stars. Relocate Tampa Bay or Colorado to Quebec and fold the other.

Divisions:

Adams

Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Quebec

Norris

Chicago
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Patrick

Carolina
Columbus
Philadelphia
New York
Pittsburgh
Washington

Smythe

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vancouver

Why? Here are some reason:
1. Contraction means better players and better teams, which would increase parity and decrease the likelihood of a team struggling.

2. One of the major complaints from non hockey fans is that the season is too long. Meanwhile, fans complain that there are too many days between games. Lighter schedules mean less travel and well-rested players. A compacted schedule with more games played each week over fewer weeks is now possible.

3. Deeper talent pools mean less competition for players but much more competition for spots. Smaller market teams could complete because teams would no longer have to overpay players and the perceived "laziness" in the new NHL would diminish.

4. Deeper NHL teams means deeper AHL teams. Both leagues improve simultaneously. Everybody wins.

5. It's a return to old school division names, something many fans miss.

6. Fewer teams and fewer divisions mean shorter playoffs, which is a blessing in disguise. I dread the day that the hockey season ends but even I can admit it's a little ridiculous that the postseason stretches to the middle of June. It takes a toll on viewership. People want to be on the beach, not in an ice rink.

7. The depth of available players would eliminate the need/desire to circumvent the CBA and stay under the cap.

8. This could be a great jumping point to further develop hockey at the collegiate level like you see with college football. Players would be encouraged to stay in school and develop, the league would get better, and the fan base would increase. That tie-in to American college athletes that the hockey lacks but the other three major sports have is a big reason, IMO, why the sport is not as popular in this country. NCAA D1 Football averages 45,912 in attendance, which then feeds into the 68,240 average attendance in the NFL (highest sport in the world). By comparison, NCAA D1 mens hockey averages 3,985 fans per game. We complain about how ESPN ignores the sport and how Americans overlook the sport. Well, in order to make a change there, it needs to start from the ground level up.

Of course, the major downside to all of this is the loss of jobs. I would hate for players, employees, journalists, et al. to be out of work but I'm trying to think of this from the perspective of what would be best for the league on the whole. Naturally, nobody wants their team to fold either. I, for one, like the Avs and would hate to see them disappear.

You're welcome! (it didn't take much effort)
Posted Image

#19 propp16

propp16

Starting Goalie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,503 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hahaha. Thanks, Mitt. That just goes to show you how lazy I am.

EDIT: Aside from the teams I folder, if you consider that I moved TB to Quebec, I wasn't far off. Huh.

Edited by propp16, 19 December 2011 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 tina78

tina78

Mrs. Claude Giroux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

What I still don't get, why didn't they just add Columbus to the Eastern Conference (South East division) :huh:
Winnpeg would just take Colombus's spot in their division

Everything would have stayed the same, Conference's and Division's...

Posted Image

Philadelphiaflyers.com is the official Web site of the Phildelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Flyers and philadelphiaflyers.com are trademarks of Comcast Spectacor, L.P.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 1999-2010 Comcast Spectacor, L.P. and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PLEASE NOTE: WE POSTED AN UPDATED PRIVACY POLICY ON APRIL 17, 2012
Privacy Policy
| AdChoices | California Privacy Rights | Contact Us | Advertise Employment | NHL.com Terms of Use